The Apple Barn really is a barn, it was built back in 1910 and was part of the farm that the Hicks and Kilpatrick families bought in 1972. They planted the first trees in 1976 and plant more every year. The orchard now numbers over 4,000 trees. They began renovating the old cattle barn in 1980, scrubbing it clean as a whistle, one board at a time. Structurally, everything is left pretty much as it was, merely putting a clear sealer on the black walnut and wormy chestnut wood, and retaining the stables and feeding rack. The sturdy old barn began a new era as The Apple Barn in 1981.